Monday, September 23, 2013

Surrogate Get-Together

Yesterday was the Agency's annual Surrogate Social. My girls and I were able to attend and what a great time we had!

A quick funny story from yesterday. The director was chatting with me and asked me how things are going with my journey. I said things are going well as I impatiently wait for the ultrasound next Monday. He asked why I am anxious about that. I told him that my last beta was rather high and I want to know how many are in there.

A bit later he introduced me to others and said "this is Shawnee, the one with the scary beta!" 
Proudly wearing my fertility helper bracelets

I love that all of us surrogates have such unique stories. Some have had really difficult journeys, others have had fairly "easy" ones (if there is such a thing as an easy surrogacy experience!)

What really hit home for me was the differences in IP's and interactions each surrogate has with them. Some of the ladies talk with their IP's a couple of times a month. Others Skype every day. Some have language barriers and time changes to contend with. There are a few that live close enough to go visit every week.

I'm somewhere in the middle. My IP's and I text a couple of times a week and have been calling about once a week. I met them in person the weekend of the transfer and will hopefully get to see them again soon at an ultrasound. We don't have time differences or language barriers (unless you call my Midwestern accent a language barrier!). They aren't within day trip driving distance, but they are within the continental 48. All in all, I'm pretty lucky.

Back to the Social...

The surrogates I know are some amazing ladies who really know how to support each other during the good and bad. We each had our own reasons for going into surrogacy. One thing is certain with each of us: surrogacy is a life-changing experience for not only us but our families and the couples we are working with.

Little Miracles, my friends and I are excited to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment