Saturday, November 16, 2013

Surrogate Friends and Fun

I don't know if I've mentioned one of my strongest surrogate supports: my Facebook group. I am a part of a "secret/closed" Facebook group made up almost entirely of past and present surrogates. These ladies are everywhere in the surrogacy process, from having a desire to be a surrogate to grand para several times the surrogacy and now retired. It's an awesome resource I have at my disposal.

One really great thing about this group of women is that almost all of the ladies are in the area. In fact, they are so close we are able to get together every once in a while.

Today was one of those days! Six of us met for lunch to socialize and support each other. One lady is now retired after being a 4 time surrogate, another is 8 months post partum and talking with the parents about a sibling, another will have her beta on Monday (but has been testing and it's showing a positive!), another 21 weeks with a boy, and 35 weeks with a boy. Three of the surros have carried multiple times, three of us were/are on our first. 

It is wonderful to be with others who know exactly what is going on, who have experienced what I'm experiencing, and can offer sympathy, support, or suggestions as needed.

The retired surro asked how I was doing with this pregnancy. I honestly told her that the morning sickness is still going strong and I'm living on Zofran. She carried twins twice and assured me things will get better.

We shared about our families and how they are handling our pregnancies. We talked about some negative reactions we have had (thankfully, we keep in touch through Facebook so we kind of know what's going on). I was able to ask questions that only they would know the answers to and not be judged for the questions.

After my wonderful lunch, I decided to shop for a few clothing items to fit my growing frame (maternity clothes!). Let's just say that my body was not ment for skinny jeans, especially my pregnant body. A definite no there. So, I'm still on the lookout for attractive and comfortable maternity pants. I have two pair of pants, but will obviously need a few more. With my last two pregnancies I wore scrubs four days a week and only needed a couple pair of maternity pants. With my current situation, two pants aren't going to cut it. :-)

Anyway, aside from nausea that refused to leave, despite taking Zofran every couple of hours, it was a great day. Shopping, spending time with my friends, and now at home with my family makes for a perfect Saturday 

I love spending time with miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment