Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fun Times

I really love the reactions I get from people when I tell them about this surrogate pregnancy! Today was a prime example of fabulous reactions.

I went to a friend's in home jewelry party with my daughters. I knew half of the people present at the party. I was noshing on some amazing cheese (yeah, I'm really into cheeses right now. Goat, gruyere, cheddar, and Swiss are my current favorites) when I made a comment about how the babies are loving cheese right now. The consultant, whom I did not know, asked if I was pregnant. I said yes, with twins. 

She and other guests offers me a hearty congratulations. One lady said "Wow, you are about to double your children! Good for you!"

I responded with a light-hearted "Yeah, it will be great! But I'm not keeping them!"

This comment was met with many chuckles and some good natured comments. 

I said "Really. I'm not keeping them. I'm a surrogate and plan to send them home with their parents."

This announcement was met with dead silence. Finally, the consultant asked the hostess if I was serious and if she knew about this. My friend replied that yes, I was serious and yes, she knew about this. We all got a good chuckle out of this.

There are some fabulous things about being a surrogate. The amazing reactions of friends have been the best part for me.  I love knowing that I get to be a small part of helping create a family and fulfilling a couple's dreams. That's pretty cool and definitely outweighs the morning sickness, headaches, back pain, and dizziness. (The past 3 Sundays have been rough on me with all of the above. Some days are better than others. I'm keeping everything in perspective. It's all for a good reason!)

Small miracles are a lot of fun!

12 weeks 5 days and enjoying big sweaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment