Friday, January 11, 2013

One Little Poke

Well, I did it. Today is my day one and that means that I started the Lupron injections. Let me wax eloquently for a bit.

I used to work at a local children's hospital as a nurse in their general pediatric clinic. Every day I would work with patients and would often have to give them shots. In the five years I worked in this field, I'll bet that I gave between 10-20 kids vaccinations or an immunization on any given day. I worked 4 days a week, 47 weeks a year for five years. Not including special vaccinations like flu shot clinics, well-child clinic, etc, I've probably given 20,000 shots to kids.

Today, as opened the alcohol prep pad and cleaned off the top of the vial, it all came back to me. This is what I've been trained to do! I swiftly filled the syringe to the designated place and scooped the cap on for safety. I cleaned the area on my tummy that I'm supposed to use. And then everything I've been trained to do went out the window as I aimed the syringe at myself. This is NOT something I've been trained for! As a matter of fact, I've been trained to properly give a shot without stabbing myself! What the heck am I doing?!?!?!

I took a couple of deep breaths and reminded myself why I am doing this. M & A want and deserve a child. M & A have been through so much, my worst nightmare, and yet they still strive to taste the blessings that Shawn and I enjoy every day, the blessings of our children. It's not about me, it's about helping create a family for two people who want this so much. It's about a miracle for all of us.

With that in mind, I recleaned my site, grabbed the syringe and injected. The start of the miracle has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment