Friday, February 28, 2014

Long Nights and an Emotional Day

The bed rest thing is going rather well, overall, I'd say. Right now, I have completely surrendered control over my house to a few well intended individuals and the dust bunnies that are taking residence. I keep telling myself that this is just for a season and its not a big deal. After all, I'm doing a very important job by growing two babies! 

The hardest part of the pregnancy and bed rest right now seems to be the nights. The babies like me constantly drinking a lot of water and changing positions semi-frequently. Trying to drink a ton of water while sleeping doesn't mesh. The frequent bathroom trips definitely makes sleep a bit more elusive as well. 

The other challenge I'm having at night is when I do fall asleep and am not moving for a while, it makes the babies cranky. Last night I was awakened to a very mad Brady who did not like my sleeping position and decided to protest for a couple of hours. I told Shawn that it felt like Brady was trying to push himself out of my leg! Ouch! (At least he wasn't trying push out through the cervix this time!) After a couple of bathroom trips, a huge glass of water, and several changing of sleeping positions over the course of a couple of hours I was finally able to get back to sleep again. Ah, sleep! I'm ready for my nap now! (And I will be taking one today, there is no question about that!)

The babies seem to be more comfortable today. Brady isn't pushing on anything this morning, so that helps a ton (man, that hurt last night!) The funny thing about last night is that when Brady was pushing on me and protesting whatever he was mad at, Cohen was reacting to Brady's movements. It was like Brady woke Cohen up and Cohen was trying to tell him to settle down so he could go back to sleep. Cohen made a couple of big moves during Brady's protesting, and I am thankful that Cohen was a bit lower than normal and not clobbering me in the ribs last night. :-)

I will honestly say that a lack of sleep probably isn't helping me today. I'm pretty much an emotional mess and have been building toward this all week. Wednesday night, a friend of my dad's who I have known for most of my life passed away rather tragically. I still don't know many of the details, I just know that I woke up yesterday asking Shawn if I really did get a late night phone call and if Marco really is gone. Ugh, not fun. 

The other contributing factor to my emotional mess is that today is the anniversary of my dad's passing. He and I were really close and I'm struggling with his passing today (hormones + emotions = big mess!). When my dad was diagnosed with cancer and he took a leave from work we talked every day. Any time he or I had something medical going on we would talk about it (he loved medical things as much as I do.) With everything going on with me right now and over the past year or so, I miss chatting with him about all of this. He would love to see the ultrasounds of the babies and hear about random procedures (as long as I didn't get too specific. I'm his daughter, after all!). Ugh, I am so not an overly emotional person, so these kinds of emotions are something I'm not used to dealing with. I'll be better tomorrow and these crazy emotions will mostly be a thing of the past. 

Anyway, I've currently got my big glass of water and the TV remote, Annalies is playing a matching game next to me, my mother-in-law is attacking my house as I type, my nausea is almost completely gone, and I'm doing all I can to help these little miracles grow. 

The Fleetwood family

No comments:

Post a Comment