Thursday, January 23, 2014

Life Changes, the Frozen Tundra, and the Tropics

The experiences of working full time while largely pregnant is quite the adventure. I'm learning how to alter some of the ways I'm used to doing things. For example, I'm no longer able to bend over and pick up a baby from the floor while sitting. I have no trouble sitting on the floor or getting up off the floor. Thankfully, I'm currently working with smallish babies 3-7 months of age and, for the most part, they don't weight much more than 15 lbs. I'm able to figure it out for now without too much trouble.

I've also changed how I do some things around the house. I now am requesting my girls to help with some of the daily chores. They are both old enough to sort clothes by color, push a dustmop around the hardwood floors, put their clothes away in their dresser after I fold them, and pick up their toys. They've been informed that they may get to learn a few other things as my tummy gets bigger. I'm thankful that they are pretty excited to be learning new things and I plan on milking their excitement and willingness as long as I can!

As for the tropics mention, there is nothing like checking your email at the end of the day when you are tired, sore, and cold and seeing an email from the Bermuda Department of Tourism, Disney Cruise Line, or something along those lines. Is it just me or are these places targeting people who live in the nation's icebox? Maybe I'm just reacting to yet another freakingly cold day with windchills -35 to -50 (our district closed schools for the day again). I'm waiting for these babies to get a bit bigger so they can provide me with a bit more body heat. At least they are more than happy when I snuggle under a big fleece blanket after work. I have been indulging these warm weather fantasies with books and movies featuring warm sandy beaches and ocean breezes. Hey, I can dream, right? :-)

Don't get me wrong, I normally love the winter in Minnesota. I enjoy sledding and love downhill skiing, I think making a snowman is a lot of fun, and I really don't mind shoveling either. Or give me a snowmobile and a frozen lake or trail and I'll be gone for hours! To come inside to a warm mug of hot chocolate is a nice touch, too!

But with winter comes a whole new set of issues when largely pregnant. Snow and ice can be treacherous to walk on. I've changed my footwear from my boots or sneakers to slip on lined mules (I would probably be doing this regardless of the season as reaching my feet is a big challenge!) My winter jacket is rather large and still fits me in the belly, but I'm not guaranteeing it will for the whole winter season (the next couple of weeks are some big growth weeks for the babies and they should be doubling in weight over the next month). And for the times that I have to go outside for extended periods, I did break down and buy some really big snow pants! They are a bit funny looking on me, but I'm not really going for style points right now. :-)

So, that's what is going on in my neck of the woods. The girls and I are hunkered down today for another day at home. I'm sure the girls will get to feel Brady and Cohen move a lot today, which should be fun for them. All in all, I'm looking forward to spending the day with all of the small miracles in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment